Monday 27 August 2012

iPhotoing Part 2: What story are you trying to tell?

Like I said briefly at the end of my last post...I strongly believe everyone is inspired by different time periods and seasons when they are editing their photos. 


iPhoto has a series of in-built editing functions that make it easy to choose the mood, time period or season you want to use to "inspire" your photo and change the memory of the event you are representing. 


For the image above - I simply applied some "Antique" and "Fade Colour" effects and suddenly it looks like I am presenting New York in a film noir context.

Now thinking about it...this choice of editing in my photo, reflects my deep interest in the culture of New York from that 1940s/1950s time period, and how I am attempting to represent that through this photo as a homage to Hollywood films of the time. The history of this photo has been re-written to show how I would have loved to experience the region in a different context. 

So the way photos are edited isn't simply for the purposes of looking more GLAMOUROUS or POLISHED, it reflects people's deeper cultural interests.  

So if you weren't thinking it already, yes I was a little inspired by this famous scene in An Affair To Remember. =P



Found this here, good to know someone else still loves the classics.




Okay so maybe what I was thinking with this second edit using the "Adjust" tool was that I just didn't want people to know how cold and cloudy it was...


It's natural that sometimes image edits can be for vanity purposes, but normally there's a deeper cultural message behind it. 


Paul 

No comments:

Post a Comment